Today I’ve rounded up my favorite Quinoa Salad recipe for you, my tasty friends!
“If you keep GOOD FOOD in your fridge, you will eat GOOD FOOD.”
Whether you can pronounce quinoa or not – it’s “KEEN-wah” by the way – it’s undeniably a fabulous alternative to your traditional side dishes and salads. While it looks like lovely, starchy, little rice or cous cous, it’s actually not a carb at all. Quinoa is a protein-packed grain that is chock full of amino acids, iron, potassium and fiber. Total healthy status. It’s just as versatile as rice but with a fantastically nutty flavor that makes it the perfect superfood for your summer slim down.
Depending on how you dress and top it, quinoa can be just as scrumptious and satisfying as a big ‘ol bowl of pasta salad — just without any of the guilt! I have a few tried ‘n true recipes in my Her Tasty arsenal, but this hybrid quinoa salad recipe that mixes a bit of Mediterranean flair with a splash of garden-freshness is a home run.
This recipe is great for lunch, as a side with dinner, a take-along to a party, or as a meal in itself! For a bit of a time saver, cook your quinoa ahead of time and store it in the fridge. It holds perfectly for about 3-5 days and will make throwing this bad boy together quick and simple on the day of.
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt & fresh cracked pepper
- 4 cups cooked quinoa, cooled (this is 2 cups of quinoa, uncooked)
- 1 cup diced seedless (English) cucumber
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 5 green onions, roughly chopped
- 1/2 shallot, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 avocado, diced
- In a small bowl, whisk together lime zest, lemon zest, lime juice, lemon juice, red wine vinegar and olive oil until a blended emulsion is created.
- Taste and season emulsion generously with salt and pepper.
- Combine the cooled quinoa, cucumber, parsley, green onion, shallot and mint together.
- Toss with dressing. Taste and season more, if necessary.
- Gently fold in feta cheese until combined thoroughly.
- Top with diced avocado.
- Serve cool or room temperature.
Pro Tip: this salad is a fantastic accompaniment to spicy BBQ chicken or smoky ribs for an idyllic al fresco dinner.