With Mother’s Day just a week away, it’s the perfect time to break out a recipe from the ‘fancy’ recipe box! I always love to do something a little extra special for my mom on Mother’s Day to commemorate and spoil her just the same way she always does with me. With a little love and a lot of luxe ingredients, creating these fancy eggs with caviar will transform your average brunch into something whimsical, delicious and fun for mom (or for anytime), because do you really need an excuse for caviar?
You’re going to need an egg topper if you want to recreate these DIY egg cups for serving, but you could just as easily pile up the eggs and toppings on a beautiful plate and enjoy without all of the pomp and circumstance. Up to you!
These easy and ridiculously simple soft scrambled eggs are gussied up with a cute, little egg cup and toppings of crème fraîche, caviar and fresh chives. These darlings are the perfect centerpiece for an at-home Mother’s Day! Just add fresh fruit, toasted brioche, and – of course – mimosas, for the picture perfect day.
All you’ll need is about 20 minutes and these five ingredients: eggs, cream, crème fraîche, caviar and chives.
Go ahead, pop that top off! You may or may not be familiar with an egg topper (shown above), but bottom line: it’s the easiest way to go about taking the tops off of your eggs. If you want to serve your fancy eggs with caviar in their very own little eggy boats, then you’ll need one of these bad boys.
You can use the egg topper on raw eggs, but be very gentle and be sure the bottom of the egg is cradled; you can do this either still in the carton or with a kitchen towel. You may break a few on your road to perfect egg top removal, but that’s OK! Just dump the egg into your bowl, saving it for extra scrambled eggs and keep on working. Ultimately, you just need a few for presentation.
To put these together, here’s what you’ll need and the steps to get you there…
Fancy Eggs with Caviar
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or half and half
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup crème fraȋche
- Caviar, Ossetra, or similar (I purchased mine at Whole Foods)
- Bunch fresh chives
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- If serving in egg shells: Using an egg topper, remove the top of egg and discard. Pour eggs into a medium bowl.
- Using care, remove the white membrane from the inside of each shell. Rinse out egg and transfer to a wire rack to dry.
- Whisk together eggs and heavy cream. Season with salt and pepper.
- Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add your eggs and let sit for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir to a soft-scramble (eggs will firm into curds, but still glisten), 3 to 4 minutes.
- Gently transfer eggs into egg cups.
- Top with crème fraȋche and caviar. Garnish with fresh chives.
- Serve immediately with small tea or caviar spoons.
Bon appetit to you — and to all of the rockstar moms out there! I hope you’ll rain a little luxe love on someone this Mother’s Day and always!