Hello, self-confessed beauty addict here!
I can’t lie. I’m sort of (ok, completely) obsessed with buying makeup. Anyone that has seen my collection can attest. My bathroom looks like a Sephora on steroids after it had babies with Ulta and all of the cosmetics counters at Nordstrom. I follow all of the major beauty gurus on YouTube and try pretty much any product that exists and can be put on one’s face.
Makeup is something I’m very comfortable and also, very experimental with. I get it from my mom who is a total glamazon and has always loved trying all the trends and all new brands. She once took me on a trip to NYC just to get our makeup done and pick out the latest products that couldn’t be bought anywhere else. We came home with a suitcase full of NARS before NARS was even a thing. She’s the OG cosmetics guru. I bow down.
Lucikly (or not), I also have a penchant for the newest stuff, but have noticed that while sampling the latest and greatest is fun, there are several top beauty must haves that I never abandon, but, in fact, go back to over and over. For example, one of my friends had suggested me to check Xlash’s eye makeup products. They had told me that Xlash specialise in eye make up. Well, guess what? Their web store can make you fall in love!
And to be honest, this post is dedicated to those beauty products that can make you fall in love with them. The holy grail products (being one of them) are continual mainstays, no matter what other groovy stuff comes out.
Let’s put it this way: if you were to be stranded on a desert island and these items were all you had, you’d be the hottest bitch on Haiti.
Here’s what we’ve got (and all of the products above are clickable, too):
- NARS Sheer Glow Foundation || a perfect “buildable coverage” foundation with a dewy, youthful finish. It’s light enough to let your real skin peek through while creating a palette that is glowy, fresh and flawless. I don’t leave home without it.
- Tom Ford Illuminating Primer || primer is a newer must for me, however, I now live by the philosophy “not to prime is a crime.” It really is a sin to skip it. It sets the stage for your makeup, keeps you hydrated throughout the day and helps your foundation glide on like Johnny Weir at the Olympics. This product is a bit of a splurge but I assure you, it’s worth every penny. The formula is like silk and has just the right amount of glow to keep your skin vibrant but not radioactive. A cheaper dupe is MAC’s strobe cream; it’s close in formula but not on staying power.
- Tarte Amazonian Clay Matte Eyeshadow Palette || this is a newer palette on the market, but has gone into such heavy rotation in my makeup bag, I had to mention it. I’m in love with every color in this palette and its amazingly easy day-to-night transition ability. The mauves and beiges are optimal for creating gorgeous, ethereal day looks while the deep plums and dark browns/blacks make smoking out that look a 20-second process. Makeup tutorials are what I watch before I go out and buy anything new, as you get a better understanding of whether products are worth buying. The worst thing is buying maleup without knowing anything about it and you find that it isn’t as good as you thought. Everyone should own this palette for daily basics.
- e.l.f. Liquid Liner || here’s what I’m going to tell you about this one: it’s a dollar at Target. Yep. One dollar. If I didn’t just justify that Tom Ford primer purchase than I don’t know what will. It’s my favorite liner, with the most precise brush tip and shocking staying power. It is the ONLY thing that gives me life in the winged eye department. Praise e.l.f.!
- Benefit Gimme Brow || not all of us were born with a strong Cara Delevingne brow. So, for the rest of us non-gifted brow gals, Benefit’s Gimme Brow is your new best friend. It has fibers that help plum up your brow’s weaker spots while adding shape, definition and hold to the rest. It sets every hair in place for brows #onfleek all day long.
- NYX Butter Lip Gloss || another cheap and fabulous find (you’re welcome). At $4.99 these can’t be beat and the colors are TO DIE FOR. My two favorites are Tiramisu and Vanilla Cream Pie which are the perfect nude and dusty rose, respectively. The staying power is a little bit meh, but the color payoff and price point make the slight lack of lasting power forgettable. Super opaque, super must have.
Hopefully this helps put a few new, fun items in your makeup bag. But always remember:
[a smile is the best makeup any girl can wear]
If you’ve got favorites that you can’t live without, leave ’em in the comments below. I’d love to try your beauty must haves, too!
Fun suggestions! I have been using eye shadow and an angle brush for my eyebrows for years but lately have been looking into other options. However I want RED and that limits them a bit. Maybe I need to try out the Gimme Brow anyway, or tell Benefit to make one for redheads!
I hear ya…. Red eyebrow products gotta be hard to find. What about MAC? I feel like they’ve had that in the past. I just use the Benefit Gimme Brow to puff up my hair and set, I still fill in with a light blonde (taupe) mechanical brow pencil from MAC.
Maybe I could use the light colored Gimme Brow over my MAC ‘suede’ eye shadow’d brows. Have you played around with the Anastasia eye brow stuff?
Yep. I have the dipbrow pomade… I love it, but Eric always jokes that it looks like I’ve done my brows with soot. Something about the blonde dipbrow is crazy ashy!!
Brett is like a professional makeup artist. She does her makeup flawlessly and gorgeous..She even did her own for her wedding..It was soft, young, glowing. She also does her own hair styling, not her color, but she has a great talent for thick long hair and is always current with her style..If you need advise on makeup or hair …believe Brett!
Gimme Brow, YES! That’s the real thing. I wish it was in a larger container. I tried Maybelline’s new brow gel, and it’s sort of . . . weak.
Me too!! Gimme a larger container, Benefit! I always buy two at a time. Where’s the Costco size when we need it?!
I like NYX tame and frame brow pomade. Kind of a dupe for ABH dip brow. The NYX is creamier, I use the blonde shade with a little brow powder. Milani brow fix in light or my ABH brow powder. I agree with you on the NYX butter gloss, love it!!!
You’re the best, Sarah!! Thanks for the awesome feedback. I’ve never tried the NYX tame and frame, but anything that dupes dipbrow, I’d be on board with!!! xxoo
Omg Brett, it’s $6.99 so you have try it! Let me know what you think! If you get it at Ulta you can always return it if you don’t like it. I think NYX has a bogo now so you can get another butter gloss for $2.50!!
For cheap drugstore brow fixes, I’ve used Revlon’s Brow Fantasy pencil/gel, and that is a winner too.
I love this post! Thanks to Brett I am hooked on the NYX butter glosses and have a variety of colors. It is my everyday gloss. I must now try the Nars foundation. I also want to add Mac Paint Pots as my eye shadow primer, love this stuff. Erin- Another option for red brows is to get them dyed. Benefit can do that and then you can add the gimme brow to keep them in place. I have been keeping mine on the red/brown shade since they are naturally light blond.
Awesome suggestions, Steph!!! Thanks… I’m glad you like the NYX butter glosses, too. I’m so addicted. I have like twenty now. Wowzers!
I’m also a fan of the Benefit Brow Zings. AWESOME product. Gotta keep the brow game strong. I think it’s more important than mascara, believe it or not!
I couldn’t agree more… brows before bros… LOL and everything else! I’ll have to try the Zings. Thanks for giving me something to add to my list.
Pingback: Coffee Talk | Sunday Morning with Her Tasty Life | Her Tasty Life