Hello, self-confessed beauty addict here!
I can’t lie. I’m sort of (ok, completely) obsessed with buying makeup. Anyone that has seen my collection can attest. My bathroom looks like a Sephora on steroids after it had babies with Ulta and all of the cosmetics counters at Nordstrom. I follow all of the major beauty gurus on YouTube and try pretty much any product that exists and can be put on one’s face.
Makeup is something I’m very comfortable and also, very experimental with. I get it from my mom who is a total glamazon and has always loved trying all the trends and all new brands. She once took me on a trip to NYC just to get our makeup done and pick out the latest products that couldn’t be bought anywhere else. We came home with a suitcase full of NARS before NARS was even a thing. She’s the OG cosmetics guru. I bow down.
Lucikly (or not), I also have a penchant for the newest stuff but have noticed that while sampling the latest and greatest is fun, there are several top beauty must haves that I never abandon, but, in fact, go back to over and over. This post is dedicated to those. The holy grail products that are continual mainstays no matter what other groovy stuff comes out.
Let’s put it this way: if you were to be stranded on a desert island and these items were all you had, you’d be the hottest bitch on Haiti.
Here’s what we’ve got (and all of the products above are clickable, too):
- NARS Sheer Glow Foundation || a perfect “buildable coverage” foundation with a dewy, youthful finish. It’s light enough to let your real skin peek through while creating a palette that is glowy, fresh and flawless. I don’t leave home without it.
- Tom Ford Illuminating Primer || primer is a newer must for me, however, I now live by the philosophy “not to prime is a crime.” It really is a sin to skip it. It sets the stage for your makeup, keeps you hydrated throughout the day and helps your foundation glide on like Johnny Weir at the Olympics. This product is a bit of a splurge but I assure you, it’s worth every penny. The formula is like silk and has just the right amount of glow to keep your skin vibrant but not radioactive. A cheaper dupe is MAC’s strobe cream; it’s close in formula but not on staying power.
- Tarte Amazonian Clay Matte Eyeshadow Palette || this is a newer palette on the market, but has gone into such heavy rotation in my makeup bag, I had to mention it. I’m in love with every color in this palette and its amazingly easy day-to-night transition ability. The mauves and beiges are optimal for creating gorgeous, ethereal day looks while the deep plums and dark browns/blacks make smoking out that look a 20-second process. Everyone should own this palette for daily basics.
- e.l.f. Liquid Liner || here’s what I’m going to tell you about this one: it’s a dollar at Target. Yep. One dollar. If I didn’t just justify that Tom Ford primer purchase than I don’t know what will. It’s my favorite liner, with the most precise brush tip and shocking staying power. It is the ONLY thing that gives me life in the winged eye department. Praise e.l.f.!
- Benefit Gimme Brow || not all of us were born with a strong Cara Delevingne brow. So, for the rest of us non-gifted brow gals, Benefit’s Gimme Brow is your new best friend. It has fibers that help plum up your brow’s weaker spots while adding shape, definition and hold to the rest. It sets every hair in place for brows #onfleek all day long.
- NYX Butter Lip Gloss || another cheap and fabulous find (you’re welcome). At $4.99 these can’t be beat and the colors are TO DIE FOR. My two favorites are Tiramisu and Vanilla Cream Pie which are the perfect nude and dusty rose, respectively. The staying power is a little bit meh, but the color payoff and price point make the slight lack of lasting power forgettable. Super opaque, super must have.
Hopefully this helps put a few new, fun items in your makeup bag. But always remember:
[a smile is the best makeup any girl can wear]
If you’ve got favorites that you can’t live without, leave ’em in the comments below. I’d love to try your beauty must haves, too!