With so much travel on the docket lately, it has been a little while since we all got in the kitchen together!
I’ve received a ton of questions lately about what I’ve been eating – and craving – now that I’m well into this pregnancy (five months, holla!). So, I figured it was time to do a little show and tell.
I hate to potentially disappoint, but it’s not pickles and pints of ice cream on the brain these days. Quite the contrary, actually. My daily routine of at-home meals consists mainly of fresh fruit (yes, still) and filling up on satisfying, hearty superfood bowls (also with the sporadic succumbing to my beloved pizza). Anything with an avocado and fresh veggies is sounding great these days, so putting everything together in a big, bounteous bowl is an easy answer to this call.
Day-to-day I change up the ingredients depending on what’s fresh and looking beautiful at my local Whole Foods, but I typically don’t stray from quinoa and baby kale + spinach as the base. Adding a mix of colorful, vitamin-rich fuel and a coconut oil, lemon-based dressing keeps these bad ass superfood bowls hearty, bright and citrusy.
A great tip is to meal prep these babies in advance for a nice, solid week of healthy lunches. Anything to save time, right? I cook up a nice, big batch of quinoa while I roast the sweet potatoes and beets. I keep all three on hand in the fridge and just prep the raw ingredients day of for the superfood bowls as I go.
SUPERFOOD POWER BOWLS
1 cup cooked quinoa
2 beets, roasted
2 sweet potatoes, roasted
1 bunch of baby kale
1 bunch of baby spinach
1 can chickpeas
A handful of pepitas, roasted (I buy them already roasted + salted)
A handful of microgreens
Juice of 1 lemon
Zest of 1 lemon
Olive oil (I use this brand)
Coconut oil, heated just until liquid (I use this brand)
1 tsp. creamy dijon mustard
Salt + pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
2. Coat beets and sweet potatoes lightly with oil. Place on an aluminum foil lined baking sheet. Bake for 45-60 minutes, or until fork tender.
3. Meanwhile, cook quinoa by placing 1 cup quinoa in 2 cups of salted water, bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover with lid and cook on low for 15 minutes, or until all liquid has been absorbed. Fluff with fork.
4. Once quinoa is done cooking, set aside to cool. Also allow beets and sweet potatoes to rest to a comfortable temperature for handling once cooked.
5. To assemble your bowl, place a big handful of baby kale and spinach inside your bowl, top with quinoa, then cubed sweet potato, sliced beets, sliced avocado, and a handful each of chickpeas, pepitas and sprouts.
6. To make dressing, combine ¼ cup coconut oil and 1 tbsp of olive oil with lemon juice, lemon zest and 1 tsp. Dijon. Whisk until smooth and add salt and pepper to taste.
7. Drizzle on bowls and enjoy.
I am liking sweet potatoes way more since I did a Whole30. My dog LOVES THEM, so I make sweet potato jerky for her!
Awwww!! Morgan used to love sweet potatoes, too. Well, honestly, that dog would eat ANYTHING, but sweet potatoes were high on the list! 😉